On this edition of #LQF we are joined by candidates vying for Emperor and Empress of the Imperial Court of All Alaska: Rhonda & Walt. Also Nicole Poole is back as a former Empress to grill the candidates and talk about what it takes to earn the title!
- We talk about Goldie’s position as Youth Program Manager for Identity, Inc, and what got these queens in drag for the first time. (spoiler alert: they were busted)
- You’re gonna learn all about the “ first, premiere, foremost, foreskinned” gay club in Anchorage—Mad Myrna’s!
- These beautiful queens talk about what drag means to them and how they like to present themselves.
- We also discuss what we would love to see queer culture become in the state of Alaska.
- On a related note, we also discuss the future of the drag community in general.
- Stay tuned, because we’re going to go over some advice for new drag queens that are just finding their place in the community and in the drag ‘scene,’ as well as throw shade at Ruby for not trying new eyebrows.
- During one of my favorite discussions on the show, we talk about inspirations and aspirations and what these queens envision doing with drag in the future.
We are joined by THREE GENERATIONS of Ms Alaska Leather: Sarha, Renee, & Alaska Gemini for a fun-filled kinky show about Northern Exposure, which is Alaska’s only BDSM and Sex Ed Conference. - As always, we kick off the show asking our guests what brought them to Alaska and what keeps them here.. This time things get a little sexier than our typical show though!! - Join us to find out what Northern Exposure is all about and some of the classes you can take part in if you attend Northern Exposure. - If you’ve ever been interested in attending a Play Party, but you’re not sure what it entails—listen up—because we are gonna cover it. - Of course we can’t have this many Ms Alaska Leather titleholders on the show without talking about the leather community and how it ties to The Last Frontier Men’s Club. - We also grabbed some really cool info on IMSL (International Ms Leather) from Sarha about the craziness of being nominated and running for that title. - The show wraps up finding out if each guests could provide us with one statement they could put out in the world to attack some of the preconceived notions that the general public has about the BDSM, leather, and kink communities.
- - This episode we have an Alaska-grown band Granddad (they’re very serious about it being spelled correctly, so take note).
- - We talk about their backgrounds and experiences here in Alaska.
- - James and Daniel delve into the similarities and differences in the ska, emo, and punk scenes.
- - Of course it wouldn’t be the Last Queer Frontier if we didn’t ask some personal questions, and Daniel asks a juicy one, but I'm not telling—so you'll have to listen!
- - We also get the opportunity to discuss what the band plans to do in the future and what motivates them.
For the second part of our Brooklyn Pride Pre-Show Spectacular, we give you a sneak peak into some of the entertainment coming to the festival. Singer/songwriter Sarah Factor joins us to talk about her music and shares her track Lasting Mark. And, Swanny River and Peezy from the hip-hop group The AlliYance tell us about their lifelong love of hip-hop and the inspiration behind their music.
Brooklyn Pride is June 5-10, and the Queer State of Mind team is a proud partner of the week's events, including our TWO live shows on June 9 and June 10. Brooklyn Pride co-chair Jamie Farnam joined us in our pre-show to give updates on the calendar of events, entertainment and nighttime parade. We're also joined by special guest co-host Jimmy Ramsey from AIDS Healthcare Foundation, our Brooklyn Pride presenting partner. The panel discusses the Kathy Griffin controversy, their pride festival memories and President Trump's decision to withdraw the US from the historic Paris Climate Accords. This month, we are celebrating pride with a sample of pride hits and anthems from the ages. For the music mix, stream the mixcloud player below.
President Trump is traveling for the first time outside of the US as our Commander-in-Chief, and it sure is messy. The girls also discovered the secret to their love of the mens - chicken nuggets, and other fatty foods, apparently. Take a listen to the music podcast featuring old school dance hits from the Pointer Sisters, the Supremes, Honey Cone and more.
Stream or download the talk-only podcast below.
So the girls had to go in. Miley and Katy got themselves involved in some silliness, and it was truly necessary to let them know how Becky they were being. Also, join us in some nostalgia as we think back to our favorite songs from back in the day. Take a listen to our mixcloud show featuring music from Ariana Grande.
Click the player below for our talk-only podcast.
Part 2 of of our RFB Season 5 debut gets into some of our favorite shows, but not all of the cohosts can agree. Plus, one of our favorite guests Lis Stevens joins us in the studio to update us on her new album, her perspective on the first few months of President Trump, and shares some of her horror dating stories. Stream the second hour of the show on Mixcloud, complete with music from Janet Jackson.
And, check out the talk-only version below.
We have a full house for our Season 5 premiere, including our favorite guest Lis and guest co-host Jose, and a special visit from Saidue's sister in law. RompHims have caused a commotion on the internet, but the co-hosts have their own opinion on the latest "fashion trend." Plus, RENT is coming to FOX, but the co-hosts aren't sure if that's such a good idea. Tune in to hear what they have to say, complete with music from Janet Jackson in the Mixcloud player below.
Or, click play on the link below to listen to the talk-only version of Episode #401 part 1.